Friday 27 May 2016

Quick Review: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams


The Restaurant at thend End of the Universe
by Douglas Adams

Series: THHGTTG #2
Genre: Science Fiction
Length: 187 pages
Published on 19th April 1989 by Pan Books
Purchase: Amazon / B&N / The Book Depository
Douglas Adams: Website | Goodreads

Copy purchased myself

Synopsis: Facing annihilation at the hands of the warlike Vogons is a curious time to have a craving for tea. It could only happen to the cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his curious comrades in arms as they hurtle across space powered by pure improbability--and desperately in search of a place to eat.

Among Arthur's motley shipmates are Ford Prefect, a longtime friend and expert contributor to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the three-armed, two-headed ex-president of the galaxy; Tricia McMillan, a fellow Earth refugee who's gone native (her name is Trillian now); and Marvin, the moody android who suffers nothing and no one very gladly. Their destination? The ultimate hot spot for an evening of apocalyptic entertainment and fine dining, where the food (literally) speaks for itself.

Will they make it? The answer: hard to say. But bear in mind that the Hitchhiker's Guide deleted the term "Future Perfect" from its pages, since it was discovered not to be!


I loved this book. Loved. Loved. Loved it.

Whilst The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was a great and funny start to this series, it still lacked something for me, and honestly what it lacked was all my own fault. It lacked the unknown. This was due to me watching the movie multiple times and it's a fairly accurate adaptation.

The Restuarant at the End of the Universe however was completely fresh territory for me and this made me enjoy it all the more. I really can't praise this book enough or how much I desperately need to continue reading this series because its just so surprising and could throw literally anything at you. 

I love Douglas Adams' style of writing so much and I don't think anything I've read compares with how light hearted and descriptive his writing is.
5 stars / 5 stars
I've read other books in this series
http://northernplunder.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/16042012-hitchhikers-guide-to-galaxy.html

2 comments:

  1. This isn't my genre, the jokes flies over my head. I think though that this is the perfect humorous book for the other kind of nerds, the cooler ones, out there

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.